Posted .

Dental fractures can vary in severity depending on their source and the affected surfaces of the tooth. Even if you don’t feel any immediate distress or sensitivity in the tooth you should still have it examined by a dentist like Dr. Kerry Olszewski. If a cavity develops inside the fractured tooth enamel it could require invasive treatment.

The location and severity of the dental fracture will influence the treatment method that Dr. Kerry Olszewski advocates. Minor dental fractures that don’t significantly alter the biting surface can sometimes be repaired with a composite resin or amalgam dental filling. If the biting surface has been compromised, Dr. Kerry Olszewski might be able to repair it with an inlay or onlay dental filling.

If the dental fracture is large or a new area of tooth decay has developed in the compromised tooth enamel, Dr. Kerry Olszewski might recommend restoring the tooth with a dental crown. If the fracture causes significant discomfort it might also call for Dr. Kerry Olszewski to perform a root canal. This will restore sufficient structural integrity to anchor the dental crown in place.

If you live in the Mill Creek, Washington, area and you have a chipped or fractured tooth, you should call 425-337-5549 to have it examined and treated at Mill Creek General Dentistry.