Whether sugarless gum is good for your oral health is a hotly debated topic. Although individuals with jaw disorders should not be chewing gum, there is evidence to suggest that benefits can be had from chewing gum, especially after meals.
Can gum be used to clean your mouth? Consider the following information about sugarless gum:
– Sugarless gum is also used for other health conditions, including for the prevention and treatment of heartburn.
– It is important that the chewing gum you choose is sugarless because normal gum contains sugars that will effectively cancel out any positive benefits the gum can provide.
– The reason sugarless gum has been proven to be so effective is that it stimulates saliva flow in the mouth. Saliva helps wash away food particles and bacteria and can be used to neutralize acids in the mouth.
– Chewing sugarless gum after meals has been clinically proven to help prevent cavities.
– Do not use chewing gum if you are suffering from any tooth or jaw pain, including bruxism and temporomandibular disorders.
– Speak with your dentist about approved chewing gum products, or look for the American Dental Association’s Seal of Acceptance on products.
Don’t wait until it’s too late for a tooth restoration. If you would like to visit with us to learn your options, please book an oral exam with Dr. Kerry Olszewski at our dentist office in Mill Creek, Washington, by calling us at 425-337-5549. Our team at Mill Creek General Dentistry looks forward to bringing your smile back to its fullest.